Our Attorneys Assist Businesses with Rockland County and Orange County Municipal Contracts & Bidding
Municipal law attorneys in New City, NY serve the surrounding Hudson Valley area
Government contracts provide a secure, steady form of income to many businesses throughout the Hudson Valley. However, both the municipality and the company must follow certain strict guidelines and put the project out to bid — unlike in the private industry, which often allows for one-on-one negotiations of contract terms.
Burke, Miele, Golden & Naughton, LLP has represented businesses and the governments of Orange County and Rockland County and the surrounding Hudson Valley municipalities in contract issues since 1978. Our legal team assesses adherence to the bidding process regarding fiscal, land use development, zoning and planning, and other relevant statutes and resolves disputes that may arise.
Representing government agencies
The bidding process is intended to promote fairness when awarding construction contracts and procuring goods for government agencies. New York laws and local ordinances govern each stage of the process for:
- Invitation for bids (IFB) — When the choice of vendor is based solely on the lowest bid
- Request for proposals (RFP) — When the decision involves price, costs, quality and other considerations to determine best value — for example, if procuring services or technology
Our municipal lawyers can help your department keep the process moving along as quickly as possible and remain in compliance with the laws on matters such as:
- Establishing specifications for the construction project or goods procurement
- Preparing solicitation documents that describe criteria and standards
- Advertising for the procurement or construction contract opportunity
- Performing site visits and conducting pre-bid conferences to open communications with potential bidders
- Collecting bids or proposals
- Conducting administrative review of the bids or proposals to ascertain adherence to rules and viability of completion
- Making award based on the criteria established in the IFB or RFP
- Obtaining approvals from appropriate state or local offices
Challenging the bidding process and contract performance
Irregularities in the bidding process affect credibility and impartiality, often resulting in disputes between the bidder and the municipality. After signing a contract, one party may be held liable for:
- Breach of contract
- Nonperformance under the contract
- Design defects in the product procured by bid
- Failing to follow rules governing the bidding process
- Kickbacks for bids
- Unethical bidding practices
We may protest to New York or Orange County, Rockland County, New City, Goshen or another Hudson Valley municipality. In addition, our firm may seek specific performance or monetary damages arising from improperly conducted bidding processes.
Consult with our construction law attorneys about government contracts and bidding
Burke, Miele, Golden & Naughton, LLP advises municipalities and the companies that do business with them about bidding procedures and government contracts. Schedule your first-time free appointment at our Goshen or New City office today. Call our firm at 845-294-4080 or contact us online. We provide complimentary parking, and public transportation is available near both offices.