NY Lawyers Serving Victims of Truck Accidents
Helping victims of commercial vehicle accidents get justice
Because of the sheer size of many commercial vehicles, truck accidents can result in devastating injuries. What’s more, trucking accidents tend to raise numerous issues beyond those present in typical vehicle collisions. Thoroughly and effectively handing these types of cases requires an attorney who knows all the unique aspects of truck accident litigation. As a fixture of the Goshen, New York and Rockland County area legal community for over 38 years, Burke, Miele, Golden & Naughton, LLP has the experience necessary to identify all the issues in these complex cases and effectively pursue compensation on behalf of our clients.
Special issues in truck accidents
The causes of truck accidents are not always obvious. Much more so than in typical car accidents, fault may extend to parties other than the driver. Trucking companies may be vicariously liable for an employee driver’s negligent acts. Moreover, trucking companies may be liable for their own negligent conduct:
- Overloading trucks
- Negligently routing shipments
- Over-scheduling drivers
- Negligently hiring under-qualified drivers
- Poorly maintaining vehicles
Truck manufacturers and garages that performed negligent repair or maintenance work may also share in the blame. By thoroughly examining the accident scene, police reports, driver logbooks, shipping manifests and maintenance records, our personal injury lawyers can determine the causes of trucking accidents and hold the responsible parties accountable.
Compensation available to truck accident victims
Because truck accidents can frequently result in lifelong injuries, it is especially important to understand the full scope of available compensation before agreeing to a settlement. The law demands that the injured party be made whole, making the at-fault parties responsible for all losses the person experienced or can expect to experience as a result of the accident:
- Medical expenses — Medical expenses can include hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medically necessary transportation costs. This includes not only the losses a victim has already suffered, but also the estimated losses the person is likely to have in the future.
- Lost wages — An injured person can receive compensation for any wages lost due to the inability to work during treatment and recovery. Moreover, for accidents that result in permanent disability, injured people can receive compensation to compensate them for the permanency of their injury for the remainder of their life.
- Pain and suffering — These non-economic damages compensate victims for pain, mental anguish and decreased quality of life. They are difficult to calculate with any certainty, but they can be substantial, and the attorneys at Burke, Miele, Golden and Naughton know how to maximize the compensation for these damages for you.
Contact attorneys who know commercial accidents
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a trucking accident in Goshen or New City, New York or elsewhere in the Hudson Valley, you need an experienced advocate on your side. For over 38 years, our attorneys at Burke, Miele, Golden & Naughton, LLP have been helping injured New Yorkers obtain the compensation they need to provide security for themselves and their families. Call us today at 845-294-4080 or contact us online to arrange a free initial consultation at either of our convenient office locations. We service Middletown, Goshen, Peekskill and Poughkeepsie, as well as surrounding areas in New York. Evening and weekend appointments are available by special arrangement.